Cheese Canapés and Hors d'Oeuvres
Get the party started with cheese! It's fabulous all on its own or as ingredient in all kinds of appetisers. From casual snacks to classy canapés, cheese always seems to be the life of the platter. We invite you to try these cheese tips and recipes for your next event - they're perfect for party with your best mates or a formal dinner with your boss.
One thing to keep in mind: cheeses are among the simplest and most appreciated canapés you can offer. Just slice or cube a few of your favourite cheeses into bite size morsels and serve on stylish platters with cherry tomatoes or olives.And now onto some cheese canapés that are easy, and equally impressive:
Fruited Baked BriePlace a round of Brie on an ovenproof plate and spread the top with your favourite flavour of preserves (try apricot, blueberry or fig). Bake at 220°C for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
Serve on French bread or crackers.
Grilled Cheese SkewersThread cubes of Double Gloucester, Red Leicester or Farmhouse Cheddar on wooden skewers, alternating with chunks of ciabatta bread, bell peppers and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and season with freshly ground pepper.
Place on the barbecue or grill pan and cook two to three minutes, turning often. Skewers are ready when the cheese begins to melt and the bread is toasted.
Three-Cheese Cracker SpreadSpread a pack of cream cheese onto the bottom of a pie plate. Top with a handful of shredded Cheddar, finely chopped smoked ham and grated Parmesan. Microwave for one minute, or until heated through. Top the warm spread with rows of chopped bell peppers, sliced green onions and a sprinkling of paprika or ground cayenne and serve with crackers.
And some more tasty cold cheese hors d'oeuvres:
- Pear and Cheese Kebabs - Cut firm pears into cubes and sprinkle with lemon juice. Thread onto skewers, alternating with cubes of sliced Cambozola, Brie or Blue Castello
- Stuffed Peppadews -Drain a jar of Peppadew piquant peppers and pat dry. Dice some cubes of White Stilton and Apricot cheese and pop inside each pepper
- Lettuce Boats - Place little gem lettuce leaves on a platter and top each with diced Double Gloucester with Chive and Onion cheese. Finish with a teaspoon of hot mango chutney or spicy pickles.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Cups - Take large basil leaves and shape into a cup with your hand. In the centre of each leaf, place a piece of sun-dried tomato and a crumble of White Stilton.
- Wensleydale Dip - Take a 450g Wensleydale and Cranberry cheese and crumble into a large bowl. Mash with two 200ml tubs of crème fraiche, a squeeze of lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley to taste. Serve with celery, carrots, cucumbers and tortilla chips.
- Cheesy Apple Salad - Core, quarter and cube a washed apple (try Granny Smith, Pippin or Braeburn ) and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix with chopped celery, a handful of raisins and walnuts, and the cubed cheese of your choice. To make the dressing, take two tablespoons of natural yogurt and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix with the salad and serve.